Coders asking questions in online forums

 Something I've noticed over the years answering questions on various forums is

  • They want someone to adjust their code which is in many cases complete off-base
  • They want simple where simple is not always the case or that what they believe is hard in regards to me supplying a code solution that I see as simple. My solution usually will become simple only if they invest time to study the code rather than look at it and say jess that is over my head.
What can be done?  There needs to be for instance a better way to direct these coders to content on the web starting with Microsoft code examples e.g. for C# for instance, Pluralsight, Microsoft TechNet.

Where to place this? Perhaps on startup pages for Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code.

Coders need to have an incentive to be better and that can only happen with placing learning pages where they are easy to locate and for community leaders e.g. MVP's for instance to stop providing code that works with things like one character variable, data operations in forms, naming controls in WPF etc.

And we need as a community to point those needing assistance to not upload zip files for showing broken code to use GitHub repositories and to have safe copies of code, learn about branching, pulls, squashes etc.  

Comments

  1. Hello Karen. I am a Microsoft VB.Net Developer who works for myself. I am 52 and I have been writing software almost my entire life. Let me get to the point -> whenever i use Google to try and find an answer, it turns out to be you most of the time. Thank You! Thank You very much for your answers which are always correct.
    So there I was today, working for the New York State Police taking over a project where the girl who I took this over for, "Didn't speak English... at ALL!" as my boss said. It is a horrible project, done badly. It is done poorly and I have to use MS Access which would be fine but the database is done poorly, "very poorly!", says I.
    Well I needed help with something and I used Google and I saw your picture and said, "Let me try it out." It worked the first time and when I saw your picture, well that is all I needed to know I found the right place.
    So let me say once again, Thank You! Have a good day, week, year! :-)

    Jim Zupkus
    Zupkus@Gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

VB.NET Working with Delegate and Events

GitHub download partial repository